Wednesday 17 October 2007


Well - rather than explain the thinking behind this wonderful poster (proceeds from which will go to charity - and which you lucky people can buy from the European Poster Expo at Urbis Saturday 20th and Sunday 21st between 11am and 5pm ) we thought we'd let Nick Rhodes, the chap behind it, explain:

"I started off in Screen printed posters about 4-5 years ago. Id produce little flyer's and art for my friends band called No arm . All around the time I studied Fine Art at Manchester Metropolitan University . I was quite a photo realist painter, painting cityscape's, non places etc. I actually never screen printed a poster or print at university. I think about 2 years after was my first Screen print . It was for the band Elbow . Truly a nerve wracking time . I had my first commissioned poster through the Richard Goodall gallery ( they now represent all of my music poster work after me bugging them to take me on for 2 years !! ), and I hadn't even raised a squeegee before that time. It was the challenge and buzz I guess of actually producing a poster and piece of art for a band who's music I'm in to .

From there in , I had the bug . Screen printing is such a accessible medium to work with . Its not quite rocket science , whoever it can come across like that when something goes wrong during a poster print run !! .

A little about my work .

I am about 80 % of the time inspired by the bands (who I'm making work for) lyrics . The lyrics are the first stating point for me to gauge where they are coming from and I add my own twist to what they are 'saying'. Often I hear one line that will totally get my neurons going , and it will form the basis of my first initial sketch which in turn ends up as the main image.The other 20% is what ever im inspired by at the time.

A very big plus about producing music/gig posters is, you are your own 'Art director'. I think its one of the most freely creative art 'jobs' you can have. The only information you 'have' to include is the name of band, venue and promoter. From there on is you are your own boss . Which creatively speaking, is amazing .
The next step for me is the printing of my posters. As I hand screen print my own posters, I often limit myself colour wise to a limited palette. As I know what it takes to print a poster !!! More colours mean a lot more work. Its not that I'm lazy its just some of the most inspiring musical posters that I like , often are a 2-3 colour prints.

I guess its the limitation that brings out essentially what you are after in the first place, that is, impact. As after all the music poster is an advertisement for the band primarily and your own artwork secondly.

Bands I have produced posters for up to date - Mark Lanegan, Arctic Monkeys,Babyshambles, Elbow, Keane, T Model Ford, Super Furry Animals, Isobel Campbell, Crippled Black Phoenix, Mondo Generator , Fu Manchu, Eagles of Death Metal, Get Cape Wear Cape Fly, The Decemberists, The National, and The Soulsavers .

My website - www.switchopen.com "

No comments: